KOALA - Grasshopper plugin for SCIA Engineer
Koala is a VB.NET script component to connect Grasshopper with SCIA Engineer for parametric/generative design.
It takes Grasshopper geometry and produces a SCIA Engineer XML with the corresponding data.
- Straight segments, circle arcs with beam rotations and layers
- Flat or curved surfaces with 3 to 4 edges
- Complex plane surfaces, including complex openings
- Node supports, edge supports
- Line loads, free loads on surfaces
- Mesh size definition
- Batch-mode: ability to run an analysis and get results through "esa_xml.exe"
- And more…
- Open the Grasshopper script and feel free to connect any geometry you want to the Koala component.
- Set up the input fields (file paths, etc) of the component according to your system
- Make sure that the koala.xml.def file is in the same folder as the generated XML file to ensure proper import
- In SCIA Engineer, use the menu items "Import XML" or "Update XML"
- added support for circle arcs
- working on built-in XML.DEF file
- added support for esa_xml.exe with end supports + SW
- added support for LCS definition by Z vectors
- reorganized code into multiple components for more flexibility
- added support for multiple sections and layers
- extended handling of supports
- improved error detection for esa_xml.exe
- separated running the analysis from creating the XML file
- now supports different number of layers, sections, z vectors than beams
- fixed error with "Type Process not defined" when trying to run esa_xml.exe on some machines
- fixed bug when the number of layers, sections, z vectors was higher or the same as the number of beams
- load cases (& groups)
- simple line loads
- simple hinges
- all standard steel profiles
- full slab geometry, incl. openings
- global "tolerance" parameter, used for duplicate node removal and to check the planarity of opening curves
- line support on surface & opening edges
- selection of project type, materials
- surface loads (incl different coordinate systems & projections)
- free loads (point, line, surface)
- mesh size for 2D elements
- streamlined the KoalaBeams component to flexibly accept segments, circle arcs as geometry input
- fixed free line & surface loads when SCIA Engineer's UI is set to Dutch, French, German
- nodes (for specific cases where no beams or shells should be created)
- more robust support for curved shells (sorting order of edges) - shells still need to have max 4 edges, meaning that exploding them to faces does help.
This is not official SCIA software and is delivered without any warranty, so always verify the imported data.
If you have any feedback, comments, requests, please feel free to contact me.