The esasd.03 module "Connections Frame - Pinned" performs the analysis and design of hinged connections in frames.
|Single-side and double sided column-girder joint types (knee, cross, single- and double-T) are supported.|
|The connections may be both bolted and welded; possible connecting elements include fin plates, web cleats and short header plates.|
|The connections are introduced in a interactive environment and are immediately visualised in the 3D CAD window of SCIA Engineer.|
|Multiple connections can be defined in one node.|
|The design may be executed according to EN 1993, DIN 18800 T1, or BS 5950-1:2000;.|
|Up-to-date internal forces are derived from the results of (non-)linear static analysis.|
|Normative prescriptions related to bolt spacing, edge distances and practical feasibility are controlled.|
|As a final step in the design, the hinged connection may be optimised in an interactive manner.|
How it works
The "Structural model" environment of SCIA Engineer enables the modelling and accurate visualisation of steel connections.
- Hinged connections in steel frames may be defined by double-clicking on respective nodes: subsequently, interactive menus guide the user during the definition of joint options, properties of bolts, connecting plates and welds;
- Open libraries are provided to facilitate the choice of standard bolts, plate thickness, angle sections for web cleats, etc.;
- Predefined, user-editable data include: partial safety factors, geometrical defaults, limits for the positioning of bolts - intermediate spacing, edge distances, minimal weld sizes;
- Improved workflow;
- Full integration into the main graphical user interface of SCIA Engineer;
- Simple detailing and design, fast and reliable assessment according to multiple (inter-)national norms;
- Different levels of detail for the output, clear visualisation and drawings;
Pinned connections do not transfer any moments between connected elements as gaps between these elements allow for relative rotation;
- Internal forces are recalculated from their values at the nodes to obtain the values at the joint interface;
- The component method is used to design the different elements of the connection;
- Freedom in design is guaranteed by editable factors and coefficients;
- A message is sent to the user if any moments are present in the joint (e.g., when a hinge has not been assigned);
- The capacity of the underlying steel parts is evaluated according to EN 1993-1-8, DIN 18800 T1 or BS 5950-1:2000 (if other norms are selected in the main settings of the project, such as NEN, ÖNORM. CSN, etc., the EC3 checks will be executed by default);
Visualisation and reporting
- All elements of a connection are visualised on the screen;
- The ratios of actual to allowable connection forces, as well as the critical load case or combination are indicated;
- A detailed or brief calculation may be sent to the project documentation - the results of the connection design and detail drawings;
- The “detailed connection drawing” module (esadt.02) automatically generates detailed drawings with dimensions for all parts of the connection.
The column can be connected either along the weak or string bending axis.
- A header plate can be welded to the beam web and welded to the column flange/web;
- A header plate can be bolted to the beam web and welded to the column flange/web;
- A web cleat can be bolted to the beam web and bolted to the column flange/web;
- A short header plate can be welded to the beam web and bolted to the column flange/web;
The limit states of the connection are evaluated according to the component method. Required checks are performed in function of the connection layout.
- Beam web in shear;
- Beam web in tension/compression;
- Column flange in shear;
- Column flange in tension;
- Column web in tension/compression;
- Fin plate, web cleat or header plate in shear;
- Fin plate, web cleat or header plate in tension/compression;
- Bolts (in beam/ column) in tension;
- Bolts (in beam/ column) in shear;
- Bolts (in beam/ column) in bearing;
- Sufficiency of weld throat thickness.