Scia Engineer Connection modeller is a package of powerful programs for the design of connections in steel frames. With these modules the designer has an interactive, graphical tool at his disposal for the design of bolted and welded connections.
Working with connection modeller
The design of the connection is done on the CAD model in the graphical environment of SCIA Engineer. The nodes to be design are selected graphically with the mouse pointer. The elements of the connection (cleats, haunches, stiffeners, angles, bolts,...) are entered in clear dialogue windows. Bolts and anchors are selected from an open bolt library. All elements are visible on the screen.
Detailed drawings with dimensioning of all parts of the connection are generated automatically, using the wizard module “detailed connection drawing” (esadt.02).
Frame rigid connections
The following connections are supported:
- Beam-to-column connections: bolted with end-plate or welded connection (knee, cross, single T, double T);
- Beam-to-beam connections: end-plate type beam splice (plate-to-plate connection);
- Column base: bolted base plate connection.
For the types “beam-to-beam” and “column base”, symmetric and asymmetric I sections (with variable height included) and RHS sections are supported, both for major-axis bending configuration.
For the type “beam-to-column”, symmetric and asymmetric I sections (with variable height included) and RHS sections are supported for the beam element in a major-axis bending configuration; the column element can be an I section (with variable height included) in a major-axis configuration or an I section in a minor-axis bending configuration.
The following types of stiffeners are considered:
- Haunches made from profiles or from plate;
- Web doublers;
- Backing plates;
- Triangular and rectangular stiffeners.
For the column bases, the following types of stiffeners are considered:
- Haunches made from profiles or from plates;
- Triangular and rectangular stiffeners;
- Shear iron;
- Flange wideners.
The following anchor types are supported: straight, hooked, curved anchors and anchors with a circular plate; anchors made of plain bars or high-bond bars.
The frame pinned connections are connections that do not transfer any moment. This is caused by the gap between the beam flange and the column flange.
The beam-to-column connections are supported (knee, cross, single T, double T). The following connection elements are supported:
- Plate welded to beam web and welded to column flange;
- Plate bolted in beam web and welded to column flange;
- Angle section bolted in beam web and bolted in column flange;
- Short end-plate: welded to beam web and bolted in column flange.
For the beam element, the symmetric I sections for the major-axis bending configuration, are supported; the column element can be a symmetric I section in the major-axis configuration or in the minor-axis configuration.