Steel design improvements
SCIA Engineer v19.0 brings the following updates for steel users:
- nonlinear analysis with plastic hinges is now possible in the 64-bit version of SCIA Engineer;
- the calculation of the moments at which plastic hinges occur now takes into account NA-specified safety factors;
- paired cross-sections can be used in Open Checks: users can refer to the properties of these sections when integrating their own calculations in Design Forms.
In addition to this, the 64bit version of SCIA Engineer now includes the Steel Code Check according to the Swiss standard SIA 263. Many improvements and extensions were added to this check as well.
|Better management of large models when plastic moment redistribution should be captured on the level of analysis.|
|NA support in the calculation of plastic hinge moment resistance.|
|Integrated open checks now possible for paired sections from the Profile Library.|
The plastic hinge calculation has been updated to the latest version of EN 1993-1-1, taking into account the interaction of internal forces (N, M, and V) on the plastic moment capacity per section. Also, safety factors defined in the different NAs are also taken into account automatically, based on the country indicated by the user in the general settings.
In addition, the availability of this functionality in the 64-bit version of SCIA Engineer ensures that large projects can also benefit from bending moment redistribution.
Export of paired cross-sections
The Open Checks functionality of SCIA Engineer lets users add their own checks on beams, columns, plated elements, nodes and supports. Users who write their own Design Forms can now extend their horizons to more complicated cross-sections: e.g., double angles, back-to-back channels, etc.
SIA 263 in 64 bit
The Swiss Steel Code Check according to SIA 263:2016 has been newly rewritten and made compatible with the 64-bit version of SCIA Engineer. Also, new technology features are now available in this check:
- the showing of formulas in the Detailed output,
- full support for Table Results, which lets:
- all result variables to be listed in a spreadsheet form;
- members to be selected in the 3D scene directly from that spreadsheet;
- the report (Summary or Detailed) to be called per member by clicking on the corresponding table row.
- Error/warning/note reporting in the 3D scene, making it possible for these notifications to be displayed on the members graphically;
- a new generation Setupdialog, where users can seach, filter, and clearly see default values and compare.
- the display of multiple result components on the structure at once.