Revit Structure interface
Revit Structure interface enables import and update of models created in Autodesk Revit Structure. The model is transferred by free plug-in available on SCIA website. Export of models from SCIA Engineer to Revit Structure is supported too.
SCIA Engineer interoperability
The SCIA Engineer interoperability platform offers interoperability and CAE possibilities with a unique consistent structural and analysis model for concrete, steel, aluminum, timber and mixed structures. The SCIA Engineer finite element analysis allows, by its inherent structural CAD model, a direct analysis of structural slabs, walls, frames and any kind of mixed structures modeled in any partner application, such as Autodesk® Revit® Structure.
What does it export/import?
Geometry (Revit builds a structural model and converts it into an analysis model) - Slabs, walls, shells, beams, columns, bracings.
Supports (Footings can be converted into rigid supports or imported as a footings in SCIA Engineer).
Loads (Revit inputs loads in load cases - These are converted into free loads in SCIA Engineer).
Combinations (combinations are possible but can be ignored for export to SCIA Engineer where SCIA Engineer can generate the combinations according to different calculation codes).
How does it work?
Revit creates the model and via “external tools”> “CADS Revit SCIA engineer link” the model can be exported to SCIA Engineer in 2 ways:
- By exporting it to SCIA Engineer directly, SCIA Engineer is opened and the structure is visualised. A structure can be changed again in Revit and again updated to SCIA Engineer, in which the same model will be modified accordingly.
- Exported/saved to a file; SCIA Engineer does the checking of the geometry. A log with exported elements is displayed.
The structure can be optimized and modified in SCIA Engineer and realised in Revit:
- By choosing “Import from SCIA Engineer”: the structure in Revit will be updated with the new dimensions.
- After updating the user can save the model to a Revit file again. A log with imported/updated elements is displayed.
Changes can be traced in Revit: modifications or added members are highlighted; deletions are listed.
In SCIA Engineer version changes made in Revit and updated towards SCIA Engineer can also be highlighted, accepted, deleted, etc. when update is chosen.
Step 1. Autodesk® Revit® Structure:
A 3D model is prepared in Autodesk Revit Structure. And exported to SCIA Engineer by the Revit Structure 4 plug-in, designed by SCIA.
The export features:
A full model or only a selected part of the model can be exported.
Revit combinations can be exported or ignored so new combinations will be defined in SCIA Engineer.
The export can be done directly to SCIA Engineer, when SCIA Engineer is on the same computer. The plug-in will open SCIA Engineer so this means both applications will be open. Modifications done in SCIA Engineer will be saved towards Revit. After doing the “update from SCIA Engineer", the model will be accepted in Revit and changes to the model can be traced in Revit Structure.
The export can be done to an external file. This file with extension *.r2s will be saved on a chosen folder and can then be sent to the construction partner. This partner will be able to open and to save the model to the same extension.
Mapping tables will have to be defined by the user to link the Revit Structure cross-section list to the SCIA Engineer cross-section library. The same will be done for the materials defined in Revit Structure and for the Revit cross-sections and material families. If a used material or cross-section is not in mapping table yet a dialog for defining it during export is shown.
After this primary export, new modifications made in Revit, can be re-issued again to SCIA Engineer.
Step 2. SCIA Engineer - finite elements analysis software:
The model, issued from Revit Structure, can be checked and corrected automatically for analytical anomalies and updated in SCIA Engineer for further analysis.
The issued model may contain:
- The structural model is automatically converted into an analysis model;
- At any time, the SCIA Engineer structural model can be reviewed in SCIA Engineer for further control and further follow-up;
- After checking the consistency of the structure, the meshed structure is presented and analysed;
- And the results in the frame elements, plates and shells can be shown in detail:
- Deformations on slabs
- Internal forces in slabs
- Results on beam elements
Step 3. Autodesk® Revit® Structure:
After the analysis the optimised and updated model is updated back into Autodesk Revit Structure.