Engineering Report in SCIA Engineer 15
Version 15 of SCIA Engineer also focuses on improvements in reporting - both in the Engineering Report, and in the GUI of SCIA Engineer.
Various improvements in speed and usability establish Engineering Report as a highly efficient and very practical tool for creating, managing and sharing engineering documentation. New developments allow the user to further customise his reports and templates. An brand new Report Preview window (based on Engineering Report technology) provides higher quality overview of project status and results when working in a 3D modelling environment.
...in Engineering Report
- DWG import is extended with colour recognition. A new functionality allows for determining conversion rules when importing DWG files to Engineering Report. The user may automatically create monochrome images by defining how colours relate to line thickness.
- Drawing inactive members. The user may now choose whether to display or hide, in 'Live Pictures' of the 3D model, members that are located in non-active layers. The setting is available per image and may be defined both when sending the image to Engineering Report and later during editing. Inactive members may either be hidden or shown in dashed lines.
- Inserting saved reports into other reports. The DDS file format is used to save and load reports in the GUI of Engineering Report. Reports can be referenced or embedded.
- Regeneration of reports in batch analysis. Settings for batch analysis can be defined via the calculation options available in SCIA Engineer. The user may set which projects should be analysed and which reports should be regenerated in a batch. Batch operations can run, e.g., overnight, without further assistance from the user.
- Adaptable colour and font for extremes in tables. Minimum and maximum extremes (per column) can now be displayed in colour and style defined via the style settings.
- Adaptable column headers. The user may now change any column header. The display of units remains unchanged.
- Adaptable alignment in table columns. In tables, the user may now change the alignment per column.
- Adaptable table borders. The style settings in Engineering Report can now define the thickness and colour of table borders (both internal and external lines).
- Support for subscripts. Some commonly used tables, e.g., the cross-section properties, have been tweaked to show subscripts in notation.
...in SCIA Engineer
- On technology level, the new Report Preview is fully compatible with Engineering Report. This allows for WYSIWYG viewing of results and, e.g., the direct sending of formatted tables to the project documentation from within the 3D GUI of SCIA Engineer.
Speed and usability improvements
- Quick image settings. When sending or inserting an image to Engineering Report - be it a 'live' image of the model, or an external image - the user may specify the image size. Available quick image sizes include "1 Image per Page," "2 Images per Page," "Fit to Page." Custom quick sizes may be defined by the user.
- Improved scrolling. Images in reports will now only be rendered if scrolling does not continue. This speeds up the viewing and handling of long reports.
- Splitting of long PDFs. The user may now select to split a report into multiple files when exporting to PDF. If a report would be longer than the user-defined maximum number of pages for a PDF, a second (and third, if needed) file will be created. The result is the export of several usable PDF files.
- Fonts for formatted text. The font and size of formatted text can now be changed via the properties window of the item in Engineering Report. A drop-down list allows for a choice between a number of commonly used fonts.
- Faster handling of external pictures. In the background, external images are now stored as JPG files, while these were previously stored as BMP files. The change results in memory savings, and in smaller ESA files.
- Hiding empty tables during (re)generation of report items. A checkbox in the report Properties determines whether empty tables should be skipped, and thus, not regenerated and printed with other report items. If on, tables with corrupt content, tables with invalidated results, and irrelevant tables from report templates will not be shown to the user (a header with description is still shown).
- Removing corrupt and empty items. The data structure of Engineering Report is checked for corrupt and empty items which are, if needed, removed from the report.
- F1 hotkey. The keyboard shortcut now opens the up-to-date SCIA Engineer help.