Enhanced concrete design according to SIA 262:2013
SCIA Engineer18.1 offers a practical solution for the design of reinforced concrete beams, columns, and ribs. The Concrete menu has been extended by functions like user’s basic reinforcement, calculation of the additional required reinforcement and some other nice checks.
Calculation of longitudinal reinforcement in conjunction with user's basic reinforcement
|More new features for presentation of results|
|Compliance with SIA 262:2013|
|Revised and updated generic functions for design & checking of reinforced concrete columns, beam and ribs|
SCIA Engineer includes:
Calculation of the required reinforcement (As,req) with/without the user’s basic reinforcement
Possibility to see the required longitudinal and shear reinforcement as an area of reinforcement or as a number of diameters (As, req) (As,req(Ø)).
Possibility to see the pre-defined basic reinforcement and the calculated provided reinforcement as an area of reinforcement or as number of diameters (As, prov) (As,prov (Ø)).
Possibility to see the calculated additional required reinforcement as an area of reinforcement or as number of diameters (As,req,add).
Possibility to check if the section is designable with the selected bar diameters UC(As,max) for bending and normal forces.
Possibility to check if the section is designable with the selected bar diameters UC(Aswm,max) for shear and torsion.
Easy to compare the required area of reinforcement with the provided one.
Easy to check if the provided area of reinforcement is according to code’s detailed provision.
Clear and transparent output of reinforcement results.
Definition of basic and additional reinforcement of 1D members
Under the reinforcement design menu, the designer can find the design default menu. With this menu, the designer will be capable of defining the basic amount of reinforcement as well as the condition for the calculation of the additional reinforcement.
What is possible within design default
- Define the basic amount of reinforcement.
- Define the pre-condition for the calculation of the additional reinforcement which will be calculated by the software if necessary.
- Select the necessary basic and additional reinforcement from the pre-defined library.
- Edit the amount of reinforcement at any time with few clicks.
- Restore the default values of reinforcement with one click.
- Two options as a condition for the calculation of the additional reinforcement, Fix Number of Bars or List of a predefined number of bars.
- The possibility to create own database of basic or additional reinforcement and use them in another project.
ULS & SLS calculation according to SIA 262:2013
The calculation of reinforcement includes all the requirements from code SIA 262:2013 for the ultimate limit state.
Also, it is important to mention that the designer will not be able to use the reinforcement result as basic and additional reinforcement to do the necessary SLS checks according to the code. The user has to convert the final reinforcement after the calculation to real bars by using the available functionality in SCIA Engineer by himself, to check if it is safe according to the SLS requirements.
Result output and presentation
The presentation of results is not different from the previous version of SCIA Engineer. Transparent results and the three types of reports (brief, standard and detailed) are also available in this version. New possibilities have been added to help the designer in his job.
Possible result presentation
- Calculation of Aswm,req (shear and torsion reinforcement) as an area or as diameter: An easy way to view the calculated reinforcement by switching between the area of reinforcement and number of bars.
Calculation of As,req (longitudinal reinforcement) as an area or as diameter: An easy way to view the calculated reinforcement by switching between the area of reinforcement and number of bars.
- Possibility to check if the section is designable with the selected bar diameters (As,max) for the internal forces.
- Possibility to see the additional required reinforcement after defining the basic and additional reinforcement.
A clear way to compare the pre-defined user reinforcement and the required reinforcement according to the selected code.
Not only the new workflow has been optimized but also a lot of general improvements have been made in the design features like:
- The possibility of switching off/on the calculation of reinforcement due to torsion.
- Possibility of switching off/on the modification of the internal forces, this can be according to two conditions:
- The absolute limit ratio for internal forces (Ratio in,abs) – recalculated internal forces will be taken into account, if this possibility is on and internal forces are greater than this value.
- Relative limit ratio for internal forces - (Ratio in,rel) - recalculated internal forces will be taken into account, if this possibility is on and internal forces are greater than the defined percentage from the resultant of bending moments (for N,My,Mz,T) or from resultant of shear force (Vy,Vz). Default value is 0,1.
- Improvement in the calculation of reinforcement according to SIA 262:2013. Detailed provision.
- Improvement in the calculation of the Capacity Interaction Diagram.
- Improvement in the presentation of internal forces inside the reports. A clear relation between the original (FEM based) and recalculated (design) internal forces, clear information about combination type, design situation and more.
- Improvement for the presentation of stirrups inside the report.