New concrete design generation in SCIA Engineer 17
Reinforced concrete is a combination of concrete and steel wherein the steel reinforcement provides the tensile strength lacking in the concrete. Steel reinforcement is also capable of resisting compression forces and is used in columns.
This composite material of concrete and steel became one of the most common materials used in the construction industry. Several advantages can be achieved by using this mixture like the great resistance to the actions of fire and water, very long service life, possibility to cast in place with a variety of shapes from simple slabs, beams, and columns to great arches and shells.
SCIA Engineer is one of the best software that a structural engineer can use as a tool to help him to achieve an economical and safe design. A few years ago SCIA decided to provide the clients with a brand new concrete design tool based on sophisticated methods from the codes, user friendliness, and fast and logical workflow. All that is combined with very transparent results to make the design easy to follow. A huge development have been implemented to give the user the necessary comfort in the design by making the speed of the calculation much faster.
Thanks to all this improvement, the new concrete design generation becomes more sophisticated, faster and more transparent.
|Highlights (Design of 1D members according to EN 1992-1-1 )|
|Calculation of longitudinal, shear and torsion reinforcement according to ULS|
|Checking of forces interaction ( bending, axial, shear and torsion)|
|Simplified and non-linear long term deflection according to SLS|
|Calculation of cracked section and cracks width according to SLS|
|Highlights (Design of 2D members according to EN 1992-1-1 )|
|Calculation of longitudinal and shear reinforcement according to ULS|
|Calculation of cracked section and cracks width according to SLS|
|Non- linear long term deflection according to SLS|
|Checking of punching shear and design of reinforcement|
Supported functionality of the concrete design
1. Design of 1D members: design of 1D members like beams, columns and ribs is fully supported in SCIA Engineer. The calculation of longitudinal and shear reinforcement can be done by using very user friendliness environment. The possibility to define user reinforcement is more practical than in the past. Designing according to ultimate limit state and checks according to the service limit state are supported. Moreover, to save the time, all the detailing provision requirement from the code have been implemented and are automatically taken into account during the design.
From the check point of view, you can design the reinforcement according to ULS and during the calculation SCIA Engineer takes into account the following checks automatically:
B. Capacity diagram
C. Shear and torsion
For SLS checks
A. Stress limitation
B. Crack width calculation
C. Deflection check (simplified and detailed method)
2. Integrated Section Check solution for 1D members. With this solution, the engineer can design any concrete cross section within few steps. No need to transfer the internal forces between the main model and Section Checks because it is fully integrated and you can see the results of the design instantly. Read more
3. Design of 2D members: design of 2D members like slabs, floors, walls, shells and foundations is supported within the concrete module in SCIA Engineer. In this version, the designer can calculate the required and provided longitudinal reinforcement, as well as calculate the shear capacity of the section. The workflow of the design is quite simple and similar to the design of 1D member. So, as a user, you will get to know how to use the 2D concrete design easily if you are familiar with the 1D design. Read more
4. Using user basic reinforcement and defining a condition for the calculation of the additional reinforcement helps you to make the final reinforcement practical and easy to understand by the draftsmen or by the contractor. This is supported by 1D and 2D members design.
5. The design of punching shear: Simple and practical 2D member checks according to punching shear forces. With this practical solution, you can check the concrete resistance and calculate the necessary punching shear reinforcement if necessary. Read more
6. Code dependent deflection - CDD: This is a step by step calculation for the long term deflection. In this procedure, SCIA Engineer calculates the immediate and creep deflection in very simple workflow. In this version, you do not need to make a special load combination for the calculation. SCIA Engineer automatically generates the necessary load combination to calculate the deflection. In addition, you can calculate the long-term deflection for 1D and 2D at the same time. Read more
7. General improvements in the concrete design: Several improvements has been implemented to meet the necessary software quality and to increase the stability of the software. The speed and reliability of the software are now much better. Within this developments, new methods have been used to make the calculation faster and to give the user better understanding about how the software did the calculation.
In addition, SCIA decided to re-name the "Concrete 15" to "Concrete" and the old "Concrete" to "Concrete Advanced".
8. Graphical and numerical results presentation: Many options for result presentation are available to make the results clear and understandable to the user. Thanks to the very transparent results of SCIA Engineer, the designer can follow all the calculation steps and discover any errors easily. Sending all the results to the Engineering Report is fully supported.
Supported Codes and National annexes
The following standards are available for concrete design:
|STN EN 1992-1-1/NA:2007-04|
|NEN EN 1992-1-1+C2:2011/NB:2011|
|NBN EN 1992-1-1/NA:2010-02|
|SIST EN 1992-1-1/NA:2006-03|
|SFS EN 1992-1-1/NA|
|Draft ELOT EN 1492-1-1/NA:2009|
|SS EN 1992-1-1:2005/NA:2010-12|
|ACI 318-14 Code|
|NBR 6118 Code|
1. What is the difference between Concrete and Concrete Advanced command?
There is a small difference between the Concrete and Concrete Advanced. First of all, with Concrete command, you can design any cross-section type. The method of calculation will be useful to any cross section shape. The reinforcement will be calculated in each edge of the cross section.
From other sides, not all functionalities are supported under Concrete command, for instance, design for SLS or pre-stress concrete are not available with Concrete and you can use that under Concrete Advanced. A short overview is given in the table below.
2. Do I get the same results in both Concrete and Concrete Advanced?
In some cases, there is a slight difference between the results due to the deferences between the methods of the calculation.
3. Can I design a multi-story building using Concrete command?
It depends on what you want to design and which kind of checks you would like to do.
In general, you can use Concrete command to calculate the reinforcement according to ULS only. If you need to design according to SLS, then you have to do the checks separately by using the available checks in SCIA Engineer.
With Concrete Advanced and for 2D members only, it is possible that you do the design for ULS + SLS at the same time.
4. Can I design the reinforcement according to fire limit state using the Concrete command?
Fire limit state is not yet supported but you can use this functionality under Concrete Advanced.
5. Can I use the functionality of Automatic reinforcement design from Concrete Advanced to do checks under the Concrete command?
Yes, you can. The reinforcement which is calculated from Auto reinforcement design will be converted to real bars. These bars will be used during the checks.
6. Can I use the As prov. To do some checks like stress limitation or shear and torsion checks?
At this moments, this type of reinforcement is not yet readable by the checks. The user has to convert the reinforcement to real bars to be able to use the checks. However, there are other possibilities to check As prov. reinforcement can be used.
Supported concrete functionality
The table below shows an overview about the content of Concrete and Concrete Advanced command in SCIA Engineer
|Supporting 64 bit||✔|
|Transparency and detailed view||✔|
|Global concrete setting||✔||✔|
|Setting per member||✔||✔|
|1D concrete design|
|Reinforcement design ULS||✔||✔|
|Auto reinforcement design ULS||✔|
|1D real bars (Redes)||✔||✔|
|Capacity response ULS||✔||✔|
|Capacity diagram ULS||✔||✔|
|Shear and torsion ULS||✔|
|Stress limitation SLS||✔|
|Crack width SLS||✔|
|Deflection (Simplified) SLS||✔|
|Over all checks||✔|
|Bill of materials||✔|
|1D pre-stress design and check||✔|
|1D Long term deflection||✔||✔|
|Concrete Fire resistance checks||✔|
|2D concrete members|
|2D member design ULS||✔||✔|
|2D cracks control||✔||✔|
|2D averaging strips||✔||✔|
|Sections on 2D members||✔||✔|
|2D reinforcement (meshes+ free bars)||✔||✔|
|2D long term deflection||✔||✔|
|2D member design ULS+SLS||✔|