Design of reinforcement in slabs and walls
Concrete slabs, walls, and floors are one of the most basic structural element in any building.
To give the clients a complete structural engineering software solution for building design, SCIA Engineer version 17 brings a brand new solution for the design of 2D members (plates, shells, and walls) according to EN 1992-1-1.and national annexes.
With this solution, the calculation of the longitudinal and shear reinforcement becomes possible and easier than expected. The design workflow in this version is simpler than before because it simulates the daily methods of slab design. In addition, the speed and the reliability of the software become much better and all that can help the concrete designer achieve the design in a very practical way.
|Fast and reliable calculation of reinforcement for 2D members for ULS.|
|Clear and transparent results.|
|An easy way to verify the result in each point of a 2D member.|
|Practical way to define user reinforcement|
|A brand-new method for the calculation of cracks for SLS.|
- New concrete setting related to reinforcement design for 2D concrete members (global or per member).
- Application of "shift rule" accordion to EN 1992-1-1 to cover additional tensile force caused by the shear effect in the design of longitudinal reinforcement.
- Calculation of statically required longitudinal reinforcement using the simplified formula for the rectangular cross section in accordance to EN 1992-1-1.
- Calculation of statically required shear reinforcement using transparent formula from EN 1992-1-1.
- Modification of area of design reinforcements via detailing provisions of EN 1992-1-1.
- Take into account user predefined reinforcement.
- Automatic calculation of concrete cover.
- Automatic calculation of the angle of compression strut.
Design procedure and calculation of reinforcement for ultimate limit state
Design of 2D members with user reinforcement
Version 17.0 of SCIA Engineer supports the design of 2D members with user reinforcement. As described in the workflow, the designer has to define the basic amount of reinforcement. This amount will be applied in both directions. A variety of options to input the basic reinforcement are available.
In addition, the designer can define some conditions to calculate the additional reinforcement to ensure that final results will be more practical.
This workflow is quite similar to the workflow of designing 1D members in SCIA Engineer and the results can be as standard results or as sections on 2D elements.
Another possibility that can reduce the amount of calculated reinforcement is the reduction of the internal forces over the support as well as the averaging strips between the slab and columns connection.
Results output and presentation of results
The designer can see the results in two different ways. After the calculation, SCIA Engineer shows clearly the longitudinal or the shear reinforcement on the screen. The designer has the possibility to check all the results of the internal forces or reinforcement directly from “Table Result”.
“Table Result” can be used as a guide for the designer to understand What the results are and How SCIA Engineer calculates the reinforcement. The location of any results inside this smart technology is shown instantly on the screen to guide the designer to the location of that results.
Detailing provisions according to EN 1992-1-1
SCIA Engineer version 17.0 takes into account the following detailing provisions for the calculation of reinforcements in 2D members:
- The minimum ratio of principal reinforcement
- The maximum ratio of principal reinforcement
- The minimum transverse ratio of secondary reinforcement
- Minimum bar distance
- The spacing between longitudinal bars
- Minimum shear reinforcement
- The minimum thickness of member with shear reinforcement
- Maximum spacing of shear links
Supported types of results in version 17.0
Depending on the user selection, the result types can be different in this version of SCIA Engineer. The first option is to calculate the required longitudinal and shear reinforcement without the usage of user reinforcement. In this case, the results will be limited to As,reqand As,stat only.
The second option is to activate the usage of user reinforcement from the design default menu and the results will be for As,req and As,prov. This calculation takes into account all the code requirement regarding the detailing provisions.
Calculation of crack for SLS
Besides the calculation of the longitudinal and shear reinforcement for ULS, it is possible to calculate the crack width in 2D members for SLS in two different directions per surface by using the more accurate formulas from the EN1992-1-1 code instead of the standard formulas. The crack width calculation and results can be presented as graphical results or numerical ones.
Designers can modify the crack limits inside the concrete setting or they can assign specific crack limit for any 2D member.